General PhD studentship is available at the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering and School
of Mathematics and Statistics (The University of Sheffield), in the following areas:
- General MHD wave theory with solar and astrophysical applications
- Numerical modelling (HPC and GPU computing) of wave processes in the solar atmosphere
- MHD wave observations and Solar Magneto-Seismology
- Heating of the solar atmosphere: waves, reconnection, etc.
- Novel joint ground-based and satellite observations of the Sun and Sun-Earth system
- Analysis of ionospheric perturbations: application to climate prediction and natural hazard risk assessment
- Energy transfer mechanisms in the Sun-Earth system
Successful candidates will receive knowledge in analytical/numerical modelling and analysing
high-resolution observations obtained by cutting-edge ground-based instruments and space satellites. The studentship may be
supplemented by income from assistance in undergraduate tutorials.
Applications are invited from Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or Computer Sciences
students who have graduated or expect to graduate with a first or upper-second class degree.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr Istvan Ballai (SoMaS) i.ballai at sheffield.ac.uk
Dr Viktor Fedun (ACSE) v.fedun at sheffield.ac.uk
Dr Rekha Jain (SoMaS) R.Jain at sheffield.ac.uk
Dr Gary Verth (SoMaS) g.verth at sheffield.ac.uk